Sheikh Theyab bin Tahnoon bin Mohammad Al Nahyan is the new chairman of Dubai shipowner Gulf Navigation Holding.

He was unveiled along with several new appointments at the company including new chief financial officer Rudrik Flikweert.

The shipowner has also named Eng Abdulla Atatreh as vice chairman and Mohamed Alhammadi, Dr Abdulaziz Alongary and Waleed Mohammad as new board members alongside existing board members Abdul Rahman Mahmoud Al Afifi and Ahmad Kilani.

Gulf Navigation said the new appointments “support the company's relentless efforts” for a new start in the maritime sector in the wake of Covid-19.

“Shareholders and investors count on the new board members and their extensive experience in managing both joint-stock and private companies,” it added.

Gulf Navigation provided few other details about its new CFO other than he has “extensive financial and analytical expertise”.

New chairman Sheikh Theyab bin Tahnoon bin Mohammad Al Nahyan said: “The United Arab Emirates is one of the most important global maritime hubs, and Dubai ranks fifth among the best maritime cities worldwide.

Important global maritime hub

“The maritime economy is a key pillar for preparing the economy of the UAE for its golden jubilee.”

He added that the UAE will “continue to support the maritime industry”, inject more investments and build more capabilities to develop it further.

“That’s why, investing in the maritime sector is in fact reinforcing the future of the new generations in the UAE,” he said.

Gulf Navigation owns eight ships, including petrochemical tankers, livestock transporters and four crew boats.

The announcements of the new board members comes just days after one its ships carrying livestock sank off Japan during Typhoon Maysak.

The 8,400-dwt Gulf Livestock 1 (built 2002) was en route from New Zealand to China with 43 crew and almost 6,000 cows aboard when it went missing.

Two crew members have been rescued by the Japanese coastguard, while the body of a third was reported to have been recovered on Friday.

The search for more survivors was suspended over the weekend due to bad weather with Japan threatened by a second stronger typhoon.

Japanese authorities intend to resume the search, but only when sea and weather conditions improve.